The Government of the Federal Republic of Germany have committed to the Government of the Republic of Namibia a new amount of up to €130.5 million for bilateral Technical and Financial Cooperation at the 2017 Namibia-Germany Government Negotiations on our bilateral development cooperation. This comprises up to €100 million for Financial Cooperation projects/programmes and up to €30.5 million for Technical Cooperation projects/programmes.
This new commitment is in addition to a Note Verbal commitment made in 2016 and amounted to €3 million for Technical Cooperation, plus €28.5 million from Financial Cooperation commitments made in 2009, 2012 and 2013 that will now be reprogrammed to support other projects.
This brings the total new funding available for Technical and Financial Cooperation projects and programmes in 2016 and 2017, to €133.5 million equating to N$2 billion using the current exchange rates. Of the €133.5 million, €73.5 is grant support while €60 million is interest reduced loan.
Cooperation between the two governments focuses on three focal areas which are Management of Natural Resources, Sustainable Economic Development and Transport/Logistics. This did not however disregard areas that are mutually agreed, which fall outside our co-operation.
It is pleasing to note that German’s support to Namibia is aligned to the Fifth National Development Plan (NDP5), which is the vehicle through which Namibia will implement and report on other development tools she subscribed to as a country, which are the global Agenda 2030 (Sustainable Development Goals), African Union Agenda 2063, SADC’s Regional Integrated Strategic Development Plan (RISDP) and the Harambee Prosperity Plan.
The prime focus of our cooperation is to support the Namibian Government in its efforts to reduce poverty and unemployment, to improve the population’s overall living conditions and to strengthen the country’s infrastructure, as well as to foster economic development.
Below are the supported programmes/projects under each focal area.
Focal Area Sustainable Development
• NamPost Microfinance Credit Line
• Promotion of Vocational Education and Training
• Promotion of Business Advisory and Transformational Services
• Support to Management of State-owned Enterprises
Focal Area Transport and Logisitics
• NDP 5 – Support Programme to Road Maintenance and Rehabilitation
Focal Area Sustainable Use and Management of Natural Resources
• Support to Community Conservation Programme
• Integrated Park Management Phase III
• Programme for Communal Land Development (PCLD)
• Integrated Wildlife Protection Management in Namibia Phase II
• Integrated National Park Management in Namibia
• Bush Control and Biomass Utilisation
Cooperation outside Focal Areas
• Securing Windhoek Water Supply – Direct Potable Reclamation Plant Gammams,
• GET FIT Namibia Programme
• SDG-Initiative Namibia
• Studies and Experts Fund
Negotiations on development cooperation between the Government of the Republic of Namibia and the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany were held in Katima Mulilo, Zambezi Region on 14-15 September 2017.